Among international students studying in the United States, computer science is the third most popular major. careers in computer science have proven to be the best career for tech students.
You might wonder, why is that? Well, when you factor in great job stability and diversified career options that cut across various sectors, you won’t find it surprising that Computer science courses are so popular.
In this post, we will be looking at some of the top careers in computer science. Admittedly, choosing careers in computer science can be overwhelming, as there are different paths to choose from after getting a degree.
- Software Development
- Web Development
- Database Administration
- Data Science
- Information Security
- Networking Analysis
- System Analysis
- Software Engineering
- User Experience Design
- Video Game Development
- Web Design
- Computer Scientist
- Data Analysis
- Software Architecture
- Network Administration
Reasons to Pursue a Computer Science Career
Pursuing a career in computer science can be very lucrative, especially at a senior level, but it’s not all about the profit, it’s about the passion for doing what you enjoy.
However, a computer science career requires a passion for technology, the world as it is known is moving from the analog age to the digital age which makes this career top 5 on the best careers list
14 Best careers in computer science and jobs
Below, we discuss these career paths.
1. Software Developers
Software development makes it first on our list of top careers in computer science. A software developer is generally responsible for software development testing and maintenance. Software developers need to possess the creativity required to solve technical problems. Software developers have to be sound and current with computer languages used for writing programming codes. A software developer earns an average of $110,000 per anum.
2. Web Developers
Second, on our list of top careers in computer science is web development. Web developers are responsible for making a website easy and secure to use. Their job simply put, is to create and maintain websites. They work from wireframes that have been created by a web designer. Web developers use search engine optimization to maximize page views and the number of visitors to the website. A web developer earns an average of $70,500 per anum.
3. Database Administrator
A Data administrator manages backs up data and ensures the availability of either produced or consumed data. Listed below are some of the duties of a database administrator. A database administrator earns an average of $90,000 per anum.
- Modification of the database structure with the information provided by the app developer.
- Creation of profiles for users.
- Ensuring system security through careful issuance of users’ permission.
- Creating a recovery and backup plan for the database.
- Regularly testing and backups for usability.
4. Information Security
With the need for security in the ICT field, it is not surprising that this profession makes it to our list of careers in computer science. Information security protects users’ sensitive information from unauthorized activities. The aim of this career in computer science is to ensure the privacy and safety of data like customers’ account details or intellectual property. The basic principles of information security are confidentiality, integrity, and availability. While people mistake cyber security for information security, they are different. Cyber security is a subcategory of information security. An information security personnel earns an average of $85,300 per anum.
5. Network Analysts
Network analysts monitor and analyze network performance. They are in charge of resolving issues of connectivity and providing network support. Network analysts also configure hardware and software for effective network communication. A network analyst uses a network analyzer for efficient analysis. A network analyst earns an average of $72,000 per anum.
6. System Analysts
They are responsible for accessing an organization’s computer system and recommending hardware or software changes for the organization. This job requires a lot of communication, so a system analyst needs to be able to
Data analysts inspect, cleanse, transform, and model data to discover useful information, inform conclusions, and support decision-making. They also use data to pinpoint any inefficiency and problem an organization needs to address. Data analysts help businesses to operate effectively and help to make decisions more scientific. A system analyst earns an average of $75,000 per anum.
7. Software Architects
Another worthy career path on our list of top careers in computer science is software architecture. Software architects provide solutions that align with the goals and technical needs of a company. They design and develop applications and software systems. A software architect earns an average of $153,217 per anum.
8. Network Administrators
This is on our list of top careers in computer science. Network administrators monitor and secure the organizational network. The tasks can vary depending on the type and size of the organization. The network administrator is the manager of an organization’s network and is also responsible for: A network administrator earns an average of $70,500 per anum.
- Implementing optimization techniques for network efficiency.
- Monitoring network activities.
- Managing and granting network access to users and endpoint devices.
9. Software Engineers
Software engineer designs, develop, maintain, test, and evaluates computer software. They determine the feasibility of projects after performing an analysis.
10. User Experience Designers
User experience designers consider the elements that shape the user’s experience of a service or product. They also consider how the users feel, and how easy it is for the user to accomplish tasks on the product or service.
The goal of UX designers is to create efficient, easy, relevant, and pleasant experiences for the user. UX designers help the company in charge of the products and services meet and fulfill the needs and expectations of the users.
11. Video Game Developers
Video game developers are easily on our list of top careers in computer science. They specialize in video game development. They develop new ideas for designing games and translate game ideas into code. Video game developers monitor the stability of a game and recommend improvements when needed.
12. Web Designers
Web designers have an awareness of usability and must be up to date with web accessibility. They create the visual and aesthetic aspects of the website. Web designers make a website function easily and look pleasing to the user.
13. Computer Scientist
A computer scientist works on the theoretical side of computer systems. The main aim of the computer scientist is to develop and validate models that are often mathematical, and to describe the properties of computer-based systems with the objective of discovering designs that yield useful benefits.
14. Data Analysts
Data analysts inspect, cleanse, transform, and model data to discover useful information, inform conclusions, and support decision-making. They also use data to pinpoint any inefficiency and problem an organization needs to address. Data analysts help businesses to operate effectively and help to make decisions more scientific.
What Are The Basic Annual Salary for Careers in Computer Science?
According to Indeed, below is a list of annual salaries for careers in computer science.
- A software developer earns an average of $110,000 per anum.
- A web developer earns an average of $70,500 per anum.
- A database administrator earns an average of $90,000 per anum.
- A data scientist earns an average of $100,000 per anum.
- An information security personnel earns an average of $85,300 per anum.
- A network analyst earns an average of $72,000 per anum.
- A system analyst earns an average of $75,000 per anum.
- A software engineer earns an average of $127,400 per anum.
- A UX designer earns an average of $94,000 per anum.
- A video game developer earns an average of $115,000 per anum.
- A web designer earns an average of $89,000 per anum.
- A computer scientist earns an average of $108,944 per anum.
- A data analyst earns an average of $69,100 per anum.
- A software architect earns an average of $153,217 per anum.
- A network administrator earns an average of $70,500 per anum.
Careers In Computer Science. There you have it! Some of the top careers in computer science! Applying for a job in any of the listed careers in computer science with a degree in computer science is your best bet.
1. Software Development
2. Web Development
3. Database Administration
4. Data Science
5. Information Security
6. Networking Analysis
7. System Analysis
8. Software Engineering
9. User Experience Design
10. Video Game Development
11. Web Design
12. Computer Scientist
1. A software developer earns an average of $110,000 per anum.
2. A web developer earns an average of $70,500 per anum.
3. A video game developer earns an average of $115,000 per anum.
4. A web designer earns an average of $89,000 per anum.
5. A UX designer earns an average of $94,000 per anum.
6. A software engineer earns an average of $127,400 per anum.
- Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs In The UK 2022 And Career Tips
- Effects Of Technological Advancements In Our Modern Day Societies
- How To Become A Millionaire By Age 30
- What Are The Space Bus And Rocket Engines?
- Artificial Satelite
- How to create your own personal success this year 2022
- What Is A Bear Trap In Trading?
- The 15 Best Books about Investment for Beginners
- Artificial Intelligence Towards Human Evolution
- Five Major Inventions That Shaped The Century
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, please kindly share it with your friends. Also, do well to share your opinion in the comment section below, this will help serve you better.